This article explains how you set up the integrations to automatically discover and track services that your employees log in to using SSO and new users that get added to your domain
By activating Substly's integration with Microsoft Azure and/or Google Workspace, you'll be able to:
- Easily sync services from your Azure/Workspace account into Substly.
- Easily sync users from your Azure/Workspace account into Substly.
- Get notified when/if an employee uses SSO to log in to a service that is not in your Substly account.
While setting up your Substly account, the integrations with Azure/Workspace are a great time saver.
Once your Substly account has been set up, using these integrations are one of the measures you should take to discover shadow IT in your organisation.
How to set up the Azure/Workspace integration
Although the Microsoft Azure and Google Workspace integrations are two separate integrations we have built them the same way to make it easier for you. Throughout this article, we'll use the term Azure/Workspace integration.
- Navigate to the Integrations page in the main menu.
- Click on the Microsoft Azure or Google Workspace integration (we'll use the Azure integration as an example in this article but both integrations work the same way in Substly).
- Mark the checkbox for Services if you want to sync both users and click Activate. These are the permissions we ask for and why.
- Choose which Users you want to Sync by marking the checkboxes on the left-hand side. As you mark the checkboxes the status gets updated from Not Synced to To be synced. You can mark them one at a time or mark them in Bulk by clicking on the checkbox at the top of the list.
Tip! Filter the view on Organisational Units and/or Status to make bulk adding your users easier.
- Filter out users by Ignoring them. Ignoring users shortens the list for you the next time you go through it and the ignored users get filtered out from the numbered badge in the main menu. Click Ignore on the right-hand side to ignore one user at a time, or click Ignore xx users to the left to ignore all marked users at once.
Tip! As you ignore users they get filtered out from the default view. If you want to see them again or Unignore them, simply change the filters in the middle of the screen.
- Once you have ignored and marked all the users you want to sync, click Next.
- Choosing which Services to sync and ignore works the same way as syncing/ignoring users explained above. After marking the services you want to sync, click Next.
Tip! You can always go back to this page again and change which services you want to sync.
- Preview and confirm your choices to start the sync. Done!
Using and Managing the Azure/Workspace integration after it has been activated
Once the integration with Azure/Workspace is activated, you'll get notified in Substly when new users are created in your domain. If you also have activated the sync for services, Substly will notify you when an employee uses SSO to log into an application not in your Substly account.
I'd like you to please read more about how to manage an activated Microsoft Azure or Google Workspace integration.